CBS has partnered with Global Citizen and Live Nation to create a reality competition series with the goal of inspiring change called The Activist, hosted by Usher, Priyanka Chopra Jonas, and Julianne Hough.
- Six activists from around the world will compete in missions to better the world in The Activist, a reality competition series premiering on CBS on Friday, October 22nd.
- The series will be hosted by Grammy-winning superstar Usher, with Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Julianne Hough joining as co-hosts.
- Contestants will work to bring change to one of three urgent universal causes: health, education, and the environment.
- Success will be based on online engagement, social metrics, and input from the hosts as contestants perform missions, media stunts, digital campaigns, and community events.
- Each contestant’s ultimate goal is to gain the attention of the world’s most powerful decision-makers, who will convene at the G20 summit in Rome, Italy.
- Usher, Priyanka, and Julianne will guide the contestants through their journey and the series also promises surprise visits from high-profile public figures.
- The Activist is produced by Global Citizen, Live Nation, and Deviants Media.
- The 5-week competition begins Friday, October 22nd, at 8/7c on CBS and Paramount+.
- The news was shared by Kelly Kahl, President, CBS Entertainment, and Thom Sherman, Sr. Executive Vice President, Programming, CBS Entertainment at the TCA Summer Press Tour.
What They’re Saying:
- Hugh Evans, CEO and co-founder of Global Citizen: “The Activist is a first-of-its-kind competition series that will inspire real change, as the series progresses from the United States to Rome for the Activists’ final challenge at the G20. The audience will see the Activists’ passion and commitment for their causes tested as they petition world leaders to take urgent action to resolve the interconnected crises we face.”
- Jack Sussman, Executive Vice President, Specials, Music, Live Events and Alternative Programming for CBS: “Combining philanthropy and entertainment, The Activist is a ground-breaking series poised to inspire viewers. We’re thrilled to have Usher, Priyanka and Julianne as part of the series, guiding our CBS audience through the journeys of passionate changemakers from around the world.”
- Michael Rapino, CEO, Live Nation Entertainment: “The Activist will spread awareness about society’s most urgent issues while also giving every viewer the opportunity to be part of the solution – an unprecedented example of how entertainment can change the world. Combining competition and compassion, these essential causes will take center stage, as the show proves that there are no issues we can’t solve when we work together and demand change.”
Alex joined the Laughing Place team in 2014 and has been a lifelong Disney fan. His main beats for LP are Disney-branded movies, TV shows, books, music and toys. He recently became a member of the Television Critics Association (TCA).