Not only will The Conners see the return of most of the Roseanne cast (aside from Roseanne herself) but now it’s been announced that Maya Lynne Robinson will join the show as a series regular.
- Robinson, known as the creator of the web series HTMAST, will play Geena Williams-Conner — wife of D.J. Conner and mother of Mary.
- She joins a cast that includes John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Lecy Goranson, Michael Fishman, Emma Kenney, Ames McNamara, and Jayden Rey.
- While her character was mentioned in the 10th season of Roseanne, it was explained that she had been stationed in Afghanistan while serving in the military.
- Famously, a much younger version of the character (played by RaéVen Kelly) also appeared in a 1994 episode of the same series that found D.J. uncomfortable about having to kiss a black girl (Geena) in a school play
- The Conners premieres October 16th on ABC.
What they’re saying
- Bruce Helford, showrunner and executive producer: “We’re thrilled to welcome the incredibly talented Maya Lynne Robinson to the cast this season. Her character 2nd Lieutenant Geena Conner, whom a younger DJ was reluctant to kiss in his school play, comes full circle as his wife and Mary’s mother, bringing back a little piece of Conner history. Yet, while Geena is no stranger to the family, viewers old and new will enjoy seeing how her ‘military-style’ discipline meshes with the Conners’ more laid-back attitude.”