Marvel and Riot Games have announced a collaboration that will see the stories of the popular video game series League of Legends come to the pages of a brand new series of comics and graphic novels.
- The series will kick off with League of Legends: Ashe: Warmother, an origin story of one of the first League of Legends champions.
- The series will allow players and comic fans to explore the world of Runeterra and dive into stories about their favorite characters.
- Issues of League of Legends: Ashe: Warmother will be released monthly on digital platforms beginning December 19, with a graphic novel to be released in May 2019.
- Riot Games writer Odin Austin Shafer will make his comics debut by writing League of Legends: Ashe: Warmother.
- The artwork for the comics will come from he Russ Manning Most Promising Newcomer Award-nominee Nina Vakueva.
- Additional details on future titles and creative teams will be shared at a later date.
What they’re saying:
- C.B. Cebulski, Editor-in-Chief of Marvel: “Many fans of the Marvel Universe and comics share their interests and passion for storytelling with the gaming community. League of Legends is one of the most well-known games in the industry, and their unique world and extensive roster of rich characters are a perfect fit for comic books. We’re excited to partner with Riot and help build the League of Legends Universe for fans and players around the world.”
- Greg Street, Head of Creative Development at Riot Games: “We love comics as a way to tell stories because it gives League of Legends fans an opportunity to see the world of Runeterra and not just read about it. We see similarities between the League of Legends Universe and the Marvel Universe, as both of them feature an array of characters with compelling and diverse backgrounds. Marvel’s success at developing a world through comics and creating great stories is industry-defining, and we’re thrilled to be working with them to bring our own stories to life.”