Hulu has announced the addition of the documentary and 2019 Official Sundance Selection Ask Dr. Ruth to its already impressive library.
- Ask Dr. Ruth will premiere at Sundance Film Festival, on Hulu and in theaters in 2019, and will receive the widest theatrical release for a Hulu Documentary to date.
- Ask Dr. Ruth chronicles the incredible life of Dr. Ruth Westheimer, a Holocaust survivor who became America’s most famous sex therapist. With her diminutive frame, thick German accent, and uninhibited approach to sex therapy and education, Dr. Ruth transformed the conversation around sexuality. As she approaches her 90th birthday and shows no signs of slowing down, Ask Dr. Ruth follows Dr. Ruth as she revisits her painful past and unlikely path to a career at the forefront of the sexual revolution.
- The documentary is directed by Ryan White and produced by Delirio Films.
- Rafael Marmor, Christopher Leggett and Jessica Hargrave serve as producers with Peggy Drexler executive producing.
- Ask Dr. Ruth joins Hulu’s documentary slate that already included 2018 Sundance Film Festival selections and critically acclaimed titles Minding the Gap and Crime + Punishment.
What they’re saying:
- Dr. Ruth Westheimer: “I’ve never really stopped to examine my life, so when I first saw Ask Dr. Ruth even I was amazed by what had transpired during my ninety years. I am delighted that audiences will be able to share that experience both on Hulu and in movie theaters around the U.S.”
- Craig Erwich, Hulu’s SVP of Originals: “The remarkable journey that led Dr. Ruth Westheimer to become the cultural icon she is today is a story that demands to be told. Ask Dr. Ruth tells the untold story of strength, perseverance and the constant quest for knowledge against all odds, and we can’t wait to share this incredible film with audiences.”
- Ryan White, director: “I’ve been filming Dr. Ruth for the past two years and I can barely keep up with her. At 90, she’s still a force to be reckoned with. It’s an honor to collaborate on her incredible life story.”