This morning, the Disney Parks Blog announced the winner of this year’s Disney Spirit Award. Former Purdue University student, Tyler Trent, was selected as the recipient of the annual award.
- Disney has announced the winner of the annual Disney Spirit Award, a special award is given annually to college football’s most inspirational figure.
- Tyler Trent, former Purdue University student, as been selected as the recipient of this year’s Disney Spirit Award. Trent has inspired the college’s Boilermakers football team and thousands of fans with his courage in battling cancer.
- The Disney Spirit Award will be presented next Thursday, December 6, in Atlanta at the College Football Awards show and will be televised live on ESPN at 7 pm.
About Trent Tyler:
- Trent, 20, was diagnosed with bone cancer in 2015, but refused to let the disease get the best of him.
- In 2017, he started classes at Purdue on time despite a surgery to remove his pelvis 11 days prior, and even got to campout for football tickets with several of his fellow classmates.
- ESPN College GameDay reporter Tom Rinaldi put Trent’s story in the national spotlight earlier this season, profiling his fight with cancer and his prediction that Purdue would take down the then No. 2-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes.
- Purdue went on to defeat Ohio State, 49-20, with Trent watching from the sidelines.
- Trent’s story was shared earlier this year on ESPN and Disney Parks Blog’s Reggie Roberts says, “it should be pretty obvious why we chose Trent for this prestigious award.”