AFI has announced their annual Top 10 list of movies and TV programs. The 2018 edition features good representation by Disney and Fox with 3 movies and 5 TV programs on the list.
Disney & Fox Movies in the Top 3:
- Black Panther (Marvel Studios)
- The Favourite (Fox Searchlight)
- Mary Poppins Returns (Disney Studios)
Disney & Fox TV Programs in the Top 10:
- The Americans (FX)
- The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX)
- Atlanta (FX)
- Pose (FX)
- This Is Us (20th Century Fox Television)
Other Films in the Top 10:
- Eighth Grade
- First Reformed
- Green Book
- If Beale Street Could
Other TV Programs:
- Better Call Saul
- The Kominsky Method
- The Marvelous Mres. Maisel
About the AFI Top 10 Lists:
- AFI Awards selections are made through a jury process where AFI Trustees, scholars, artists and critics determine the year’s most outstanding achievements and provide contextual rationales for each selection.
- This year’s juries — one for film and one for television — were chaired by AFI Board of Trustees Vice Chairs Tom Pollock (former Vice Chairman of MCA, Chairman of Universal Pictures) for film and Richard Frank (former Chairman of Walt Disney Television, President of Walt Disney Studios, President of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences) for television.
- The juries featured acclaimed artists such as David Benioff, Joan Chen, Courtney B. Vance and Alfre Woodard; renowned authors and scholars representing prestigious universities with recognized motion picture arts and television programs; film historian Leonard Maltin; the AFI Board of Trustees; and film and television critics from media outlets such as the Los Angeles Times, NPR, Rolling Stone, TV Guide, Vanity Fair, Variety and The Washington Post.
- Honorees will gather on January 4, 2019, for recognition at the annual AFI Awards private luncheon in Los Angeles, CA
- At the luncheon, AFI will present jury rationales providing artistic and cultural context for the selection of each honoree.