The date has been set for “Excelsior! A Celebration of the Amazing, Fantastic, Incredible & Uncanny Life of Stan Lee” and filmmaker Kevin Smith has been tapped to host, according to Deadline.
- “Excelsior! A Celebration of the Amazing, Fantastic, Incredible & Uncanny Life of Stan Lee” will be held on Wednesday, January 30 at Hollywood’s TCL Chinese Theatre.
- Kevin Smith, who is known for being a big comic book fan, will host a mix of public and private events.
- These private events will include speakers like Mark Hamill, Deadpool co-creator Rob Liefeld, Vincent D’Onofrio and more.
- The tribute will be presented by Smith, Legion M and Agents of Mayhem in partnership with Stan Lee’s POW! Entertainment.
- It will begin with a public appreciation of Lee’s work in the Chinese Theatre forecourt with special speakers, an art exhibit by artist Rob Prior, select costumes and props from Stan’s cameos and creations, a musical performance and a special moment of remembrance around Lee’s hand and foot imprints.
- The event will proceed with a private tribute in the IMAX theatre hosted by Smith.
- A limited number of tickets for the tribute will be available today at 5 PM PT and can be purchased here.
- The site currently shows two ticket options, costing $150 and $200 per ticket.
- All proceeds from ticket sales will benefit The Hero Initiative, a charity supporting comic book creators, artists and writers in need.
What they’re saying:
- Kevin Smith: “Thank you, Stan, for making me not only the boy I was but also the man I am today. You had great power and you always used it responsibly, fostering billions of dreamers who all know your name – a name written in the stars for all time. You were not just the literary titan of comic books, you were our modern-day Mark Twain.”
- Scott D. Williams, CEO of Stan Lee’s POW! Entertainment: “We are honored for this chance for Stan’s fans and friends to come together in a celebration of his remarkable life. Despite his passing, Stan’s name, work and legacy will continue to flourish and be revealed to the world. We are committed to honor Stan’s extraordinary life and work.”