Legendary surf rock guitarist, Dick Dale has passed away at the age of 81.
- The Hollywood Reporter is writing that Dick Dale passed away Saturday March, 16. He was 81 years old.
- Some of Dale’s best known rock jams were created in the 1960s, with his band the Del Tones, but what Disney fans will remember is his performance of the iconic Disneyland Space Mountain soundtrack.
- Dale performed the first version of the soundtrack for the attraction which debuted in 1995.
- While he didn’t write the score, his take on the original song, "Aquarium" added a well deserved eerie and science-fiction feel that’s as memorable as the ride itself.
- THR reports that Billboard spoke with Dale’s agent who said of his passing, "it's a sad day for rock 'n' roll."
- His most notable song is "Misirlou" which appeared in the opening credits of Pulp Fiction, and was also sampled by The Black Eyed Peas in their 2006 hit, "Pump It."
In his words:
- In a 2015 Billboard interviewed Dale, who was still touring the country. They had a candid discussion about his health issues: "Even with my illnesses and diseases, I’m faster with my hands than I’ve ever been."