Disney is teaming up with Tony and Emmy-nominated singer-songwriter Matthew Morrison for a new album of your favorite classic Disney songs, according to Billboard.
- This will be Morrison’s first album with Walt Disney Records.
- Set to release in early 2020, the new album will feature a variety of personally curated familiar favorites, but there has been no official announcement as to what songs it might include.
- This will be Morrision’s first full-length album since he released Where it all Began in 2013, but he has also been featured on a variety of albums from the hit TV series Glee as well as Broadway cast recordings from Hairspray, South Pacific and Finding Neverland.
- Yesterday, it was announced by Disney that Morrison would be stopping by the Disney Music Emporium pop-up shop at the D23 Expo 2019 for album signings. Now we know why.
What they’re saying:
- Matthew Morrison: “I have never felt so much joy and connection in making an album. Every note, every word I sang was for my son, Revel James. There’s a beautiful feeling of nostalgia that is forever connected to the Disney catalog, and my goal was to deliver an album that reconnects us all to the magic of youth.”
- Disney Music Group President Ken Bunt: “Matthew has so many talents and we are thrilled that he is putting his voice to Disney classics that are so personal to him.”
More on the Disney Music Emporium pop-up shop:
- Several musicians and actors will be stopping by the pop-up shop for album signings, including:
- Composer and Disney Legend Randy Newman (Toy Story films, The Princess and the Frog, Cars films)
- Composer Tyler Bates (Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1)
- Actor Anthony Gonzalez (voice of Miguel from Coco)
- Hollywood Records artist JD McCrary (voice of young Simba in The Lion King).
- D23 Expo 2019 takes place Friday, August 23 through Sunday, August 25 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.