Award-winning musical legend Mariah Carey will lend her iconic voice and songwriting talents to the theme song of mixed-ish, the newest spinoff of the black-ish franchise coming to ABC this fall.
- The song, entitled “In The Mix,” is written and produced by Carey, with Daniel Moore also producing.
- You can hear the theme for the first time when mixed-ish premieres on Tuesday, September 24 on ABC.
What they’re saying:
- Mariah Carey: “As a fan of Kenya Barris’ megahit shows, black-ish and grown-ish, I was inspired to connect with Kenya to find a way we could work together. As a biracial woman in the entertainment industry, there was no way I did not want to be a part of mixed-ish, especially after seeing the pilot, which I loved. I could not be more honored and proud to be writing and performing “In the Mix” for Kenya and the show.”
More on mixed-ish:
- ABC’s mixed-ish will follow Rainbow Johnson as she recounts her experience growing up in a mixed-race family in the ‘80s and the dilemmas they face to acclimate in the suburbs while staying true to themselves.
- Bow’s parents, Paul and Alicia, decide to move from a hippie commune to the suburbs to better provide for their family. As her parents struggle with the challenges of their new life, Bow and her siblings navigate a mainstream school in which they’re perceived as neither black nor white. This family’s experiences illuminate the challenges of finding one’s own identity when the rest of the world can’t decide where you belong.
- Karin Gist, Peter Saji and Kenya Barris are writers and executive producers, along with Tracee Ellis Ross, Randall Winston, Artists First (Brian Dobbins), Cinema Gypsy (Laurence Fishburne and Helen Sugland) and Anthony Anderson. Anton Cropper directed the pilot. The series is produced by ABC Studios.
- Mark-Paul Gosselaar as Paul Johnson
- Tika Sumpter as Alicia Johnson
- Christina Anthony as Denise
- Arica Himmel as Bow Johnson
- Ethan William Childress as Johan Johnson
- Mykal-Michelle Harris Santamonica Johnson
- Gary Cole as Harrison