Guests will soon be able to set foot on the planet Batuu at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Today, ahead of the land’s grand opening on August 29, Walt Disney World recognized the economic contribution Galaxy’s Edge has had on Central Florida.
- With the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge set for August 29, Walt Disney World Resort continues its position as being a “force” for Florida and the economy, contributing more than 7,000 jobs to the Central Florida region since the beginning of the project in 2016.
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, totaling 14 acres, is the largest single-themed land created in a Disney Park.
- It transports Guests to the planet of Batuu and pushes the boundaries of innovation and creativity, providing customized experiences to everyone who visits.
Among these new jobs are 1,700 operational roles, including:
- Leadership positions
- Entertainment performers
- Attractions engineers
- Food and beverage hosts and hostesses
- Merchandise hosts and hostesses
- These exciting expansions offer our Cast Members new opportunities to expand their skills and grow their careers all across our Resort.
- In addition, jobs were created due to the support of both small and large Florida-based companies contributing more than 5,500 local trade, artisan and construction roles.
- As part of the opening, the 1,700-member team had unique opportunities to:
- Learn about the story of this amazing new land
- Received specialized name tags
- Customize their costume by hand-selecting apparel and accessories creating a unique Batuuan look and fully integrating them into life on the planet.
What they’re saying:
- Maribeth Bisienere, senior vice president, Walt Disney World Parks: “The anticipation for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is unlike anything else we’re experiencing at Walt Disney World Resort. Our Cast Members make our parks uniquely special and we couldn’t create any of the memorable and immersive experiences for our Guests without their talents, passion and dedication.”
- Phil Holmes, vice president of Disney’s Hollywood Studios: “I have such pride in our Cast Members and am so confident in the opening team as they bring Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge to life. This opening team is unparalleled and sets the stage in delivering out-of-this-galaxy experiences with guests traveling to Black Spire Outpost.”