The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical is headed to Broadway. According to Deadline, the show which recently wrapped a National Tour, is headed to the Great White Way for a limited engagement over the holiday season.
- The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical is coming to Broadway for a limited engagement with previews starting next month.
- Based on the young adult novel by Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief made its stage debut this January and has recently wrapped up its national tour.
- The Broadway production will be directed by Joe Tracz and Stephen Brackett, with music by Rob Rokicki.
- The Lightning Thief’s limited engagement is expected run for 16 weeks opening for previews on September 20th at Longacre Theater. Opening night will be October 16th.
- At this time, the Broadway cast has not been announced.
National Tour Montage Video:
- Joe Tracz will write the book
- Rob Rokicki will write music and lyrics
- Stephen Brackett will direct the show
- Patrick McCollum (The Band’s Visit) will choreograph
- Lee Savage will handle set design
- Sydney Maresca serves as costume designer
- David Lander will manage lighting design
- Ryan Rumery serves as sound designer
- Acheson Walsh will be in charge of puppet design
- Rod Kinter will direct fight sequences
- Dave Bova will design hair, wigs, and makeup
- Wiley DeWeese and Rob Rokicki will manage orchestrations
- The production is being presented by special arrangement with Rick Riordan and the Gallt & Zacker Literary Agency.
- The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical is co-produced by TheaterWorksUSA and Martian Entertainment.
About the show:
- “The Lightning Thief follows Percy Jackson, a son of Poseidon, and the newly discovered powers he can’t control, with monsters on his trail as he is on a quest to find Zeus’ lightning bolt and prevent a war between the Greek gods. The musical features an original rock score, with an onstage company of seven playing more than 47 characters.”
Did you know:
- Disney Hyperion published the book series which consists of five books. However, it was 20th Century Fox that released the 2010 and 2013 films.
- Also of note, while Disney Theatrical Productions has developed several Broadway shows, they are not part of this iteration of the story.
- The original musical production of The Lightning Thief premiered in spring 2017 at the Lucille Lortel Theater in New York City.
- This past January, the show set off on its North American First National Tour.