Fans of the 1990s releases of the Aladdin and The Lion King video games can step back in time and rediscover these classics on today’s consoles. Nighthawk Interactive and Digital Eclipse are re-releasing the retro games with a few new fun updates.
- On October 29, the 16-bit magic of Disney’s Aladdin and The Lion King games, complete with new features and enhancements, will be re-released for:
- Nintendo Switch
- Xbox One
- Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King will include the fan-favorite versions of each original title, featuring upscaled graphics to support high definition displays and additional upgrades to enhance playability on current consoles.
- The collection also includes a brand-new “final cut” of Aladdin and an original Aladdin “tradeshow demo” that has not been publicly available since 1993.
- Physical copies will be available for $29.99 through retailers including:
- Best Buy
- Pre-orders will be available through all major retailers. The collection is rated E10+ by the ESRB.
That explains it:
- Fans may have noticed that these games were delisted from GOG earlier this summer and many wondered why they were taken down.
- Aladdin, The Lion King, and The Jungle Book were all added to GOG in the summer of 2016. While waiting for the console release of these games, check out Kyle’s review of their GOG debut.
About the games:
- Fans will be able to revisit these beloved games and take advantage of a variety of modern support options, including:
- Instant save states
- “Rewind" button to jump back up to 15 seconds
- Level select
- Infinite lives
- “Interactive Game Viewer.”
- The Interactive Game Viewer enables players to view full game playthroughs, with the ability to skip forward, jump in, and start playing at any point.
Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King features:
- Authentic Game Content with Modern Improvements – Fans old and new can enjoy the original game builds, upscaled graphics, customizable controls, special filters for visual enhancement and more.
- Variety of Game Versions – The collection includes multiple playable platform versions of the games including:
- Sega Genesis
- Game Boy
- Super Game Boy
- The Lion King Super Nintendo Entertainment System version
- A Helping Hand – Players who want to experience the Disney magic in true “Hakuna Matata” fashion can use the Interactive Game Viewer, Rewind feature and cheat codes to aid gameplay progression.
- Curated, Explorable Museum – A treasure trove of behind-the-scenes development assets including interviews, an art gallery and a music player shares the rich history behind the Aladdin and The Lion King 16-bit games.
About this release: