This is a very big month for Star Wars fans. Not only has Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opened at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in Disney’s Hollywood Studios, but Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is also set to make its theatrical debut later this month. Those two debuts came together as the cast of the upcoming film previewed the new attraction before it opens in Disneyland.
- Some of the stars of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker checked out Disneyland’s yet-unopened version of Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.
- The group of stars included:
- Daisy Ridley
- John Boyega
- Oscar Isaac
- Anthony Daniels
- Naomi Ackie
- Keri Russell
- Kelly Marie Tran
- As well as director J.J. Abrams
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker will open in theaters December 20 while Disneyland’s Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will open on January 17.
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is open now at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Walt Disney World.
More on Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance:
- Watch our videos covering every aspect of Star Wars: Rise fo the Resistance, from a full ride queue walkthrough to a POV of the actual ride experience.
- Rise of the Resistance merchandise has also come to both Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disneyland Park.
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios hosted a dedication ceremony for the opening of Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.
Join the Resistance
- Guests exploring Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge find the Resistance’s temporary encampment in the forested area along the outskirts of Black Spire Outpost on Batuu.
- The gateway to the encampment is marked by a large turret. From there, a pathway leads deeper into the forest toward towering cliffs and the crumbling remains of an ancient civilization. Guests weave through low stone walls, timeworn pillars and tight corridors as they progress farther into the base, hearing military communications chatter along the way.
- In a makeshift briefing room, Rey – a hero of the cause – appears via holo-transmission alongside dutiful droid BB-8 to welcome the new Resistance recruits. She shares a plan to reunite with General Leia Organa at an off-planet location that must be kept secret from the First Order.
- Guests then board a nearby Intersystem Transport Ship (I-TS) and have to make their rendezvous quickly to avoid a First Order Star Destroyer on its way to Batuu. They should have a bad feeling about this …
An All-Encompassing Attraction Experience:
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance throws out the rulebook for traditional attraction design, eschewing and/or blending industry notions such as “queue,” “preshow” and “ride” to create a seamless, holistic experience full of rich details and breathtaking excitement on a cinematic scale.
- When guests board the I-TS, they’ll feel as if they’re lifting off the surface of Batuu and blasting into space alongside Poe Dameron in his signature black-painted X-wing starfighter, Black One.
- Before the I-TS can make the jump to lightspeed, it’s caught in the tractor beam of a Star Destroyer and pulled into a massive hangar bay.
- Guests make their escape from the Star Destroyer aboard eight-passenger First Order Fleet Transports piloted by reprogrammed R5-series astromech droids.
- The attraction features grand set pieces – including the hangar bay that is filled with 50 menacing stormtroopers and a docked TIE fighter. At various points, guests dodge blaster bolts from stormtroopers and AT-AT walkers, scurry past huge turbolaser cannons, and stumble into the Star Destroyer’s bridge.
- Throughout their journey, guests are hunted by Kylo Ren, who uses the Force in an attempt to pry from their minds the location of General Organa’s secret base. Guests feel Ren’s tremendous malevolent power as they narrowly avoid his attacks.
Authentically Star Wars:
- Actors from the current Star Wars film trilogy reprise their roles for new scenes and dialogue in Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, including Daisy Ridley (Rey), Adam Driver (Kylo Ren), John Boyega (Finn), Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) and Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux). Many scenes were filmed at the same time “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” and “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” were in production.
- Poe Dameron’s X-wing is one of several vehicles from the Star Wars galaxy appearing in the attraction.
- Disney cast members adopt personalities of First Order and Resistance troops throughout the attraction to further deepen the immersive experience for guests.
- Walt Disney Imagineering worked hand in hand with Lucasfilm in writing the attraction’s script, ensuring characters and storylines were properly integrated into the broader Star Wars galaxy.
- The attraction introduces a new featured character: Lieutenant Bek is a Mon Calamari Resistance officer who helps guide the Resistance recruits through their harrowing journey.