- The Writers Guilds of America, East and West released a statement saying that the strike was initiated “after the companies refused to agree to cover writers’ work under the Writers Guild of America’s Minimum Basic Agreement.”
- The Chase is produced by ITV America for ABC.
- The guilds told their members today that “Working Rule 8,” which states that "No member shall accept employment with, nor option or sell literary material to, any person, firm or corporation who is not signatory to the applicable MBAs," is in effect for the show
- The guilds have been in negotiations with ITV in recent weeks, with the guilds insisting that the MBA be applied to the show.
- The MBA includes issues like health and pension benefits, as well as residuals.
- However, the guilds say they were told by ITV Monday that the MBA would not apply to the show.
- The Chase is currently in its first season and features a team of contestants competing against trivia experts, with Jeopardy! champions Ken Jennings, James Holzhauer and Brad Rutter serving as the experts.
- Sara Haines is the host of the show.
What they’re saying:
- A statement from ITV America: "After the WGAE approached ITV one week ago, we began good faith negotiations and proposed a package for the writers that includes generous, over scale pay increases and health benefits through the WGA. Despite that proposal, the WGAE is refusing to make a deal and insisting on terms that would economically cripple the show. We remain open to continuing discussions with the guild. ITV offers top-tier health benefits to all employees, whether union or non-union."
More on The Chase:
- “The Chase is a heart-racing quiz show where three competitors must pit their wits and face off against the Chaser, a ruthless quiz genius determined to stop them from winning cash prizes. Each hour-long episode is a fast-paced battle of brain power, where contestants are challenged to think faster than they ever thought possible to answer up to 166 questions across all topics.”
- Check out Alex’s review of the ABC game show.