FX continues to build its cast for their upcoming pilot The Spook Who Sat by the Door. Christina Jackson has joined the series in a leading role, according to Variety.
- Jackson will reportedly play Joy Freeman, an up-and-coming attorney committed to making a difference in her community and Dan’s wife.
- She will star opposite Y’lan Noel, who joined the cast late last month and will play Dan.
- The Spook Who Sat by the Door was ordered to pilot by FX back in February.
- Variety offers the following details on The Spook Who Sat by the Door:
- “The story follows Dan Freeman, the fictional first African American CIA officer hired by the agency in the late 1960s. The story chronicles the quest of Freeman, who was recruited as part of an affirmative-action program. After a very competitive selection process he trains in high-level combat and espionage. However, following this arduous training, this model recruit is rewarded with a post in the reprographics (aka photocopying) department, ‘left by the door’ as a token of the CIA’s ‘racial equality.’”
- Some of Jackson’s previous television credits include Outsiders, The Good Fight and Boardwalk Empire.
More on The Spook Who Sat by the Door:
- The Spook Who Sat By the Door is based on Sam Greenlee’s spy novel, which focuses on the fictional story of Dan Freeman, the first African American CIA officer hired by the agency in the late 1960s.
- The book was first published in 1969 and was adapted into a feature film in 1973.
- The project will be executive produced by Lee Daniels and was written by Leigh Dana Jackson, who will co-executive produce and serve as showrunner.
- The Twilight Zone and The First Purge director Gerard McMurray will helm the project.
- McMurray and Marc Velez will also serve as executive producers and Jackson will serve as showrunner.
- The series will also be produced by 20th Television.