Dwayne Johnson has taken to his personal Instagram account and proudly announced that he had the Mic Drop of Mic Drop announcements for the day, that the much-anticipated release of Jungle Cruise will take place on July 30th in theaters where available and as part of Disney+ Premier Access.
- Dwayne Johnson announced on his personal Instagram account that the highly-anticipated film, Jungle Cruise will be released on July 30th. Saying that he had the mic drop announcement of mic drop announcements, that the film will be released simultaneously around the world in theaters where available and as part of Disney+ Premier Access so fans can have the opportunity to enjoy the film in their living room surrounded by family and loved ones.
- In the video, Johnson also shares a personal anecdote explaining why the release of the film means so much to him, saying that when his first movie, The Scorpion King was released in theaters, it was accompanied with a trailer for Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl. Saying that the adventure in the trailer, and the “biggest star in the world at the time” Johnny Depp, and all the spectacle of it made him feel like an 8 year old again, Johnson said that he that he used that as his inspiration and thought that one day if he worked hard enough and was good enough, Disney would offer him a spot on a movie based on one of their iconic rides. It was his dream. Laughingly he said that as he watched The Scorpion King that night, he had a long way to go.
- The announcement was followed by a short teaser montage showing some footage from the film before reiterating the July 30th release date.
- Previously, the movie was slated to be released last July after being pushed from December of 2019, but was delayed again for an additional year due to the global COVID-19 pandemic.
- Inspired by the famous Disneyland theme park ride, Disney’s Jungle Cruise is an adventure-filled, rollicking thrill-ride down the Amazon with wisecracking skipper Frank Wolff and intrepid researcher Dr. Lily Houghton. Lily travels from London, England to the Amazon jungle and enlists Frank’s questionable services to guide her downriver on La Quila—his ramshackle-but-charming boat. Lily is determined to uncover an ancient tree with unparalleled healing abilities—possessing the power to change the future of medicine. Thrust on this epic quest together, the unlikely duo encounters innumerable dangers and supernatural forces, all lurking in the deceptive beauty of the lush rainforest. But as the secrets of the lost tree unfold, the stakes reach even higher for Lily and Frank and their fate—and mankind’s—hangs in the balance.