Disney+ has announced that the sequel to Hocus Pocus will be coming in Fall 2022 with Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy reprising their roles.
- In celebration of National Streaming Day, Disney+ announced that Hocus Pocus 2 will be coming to the streaming service in Fall 2022.
- Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy will reprise their roles as the delightfully wicked Sanderson Sisters in the live-action comedy.
- The sequel to the 1993 film will be in production this fall with director Anne Fletcher and producer Lynn Harris. Fletcher is taking over for Adam Shankman who will remain on the project as an executive producer along with Ralph Winter and David Kirschner. Steven Haft will serve as a co-producer.
- The sequel had previously been announced during Disney Investor Day in 2020, but no information had been given at the time.
About Hocus Pocus 2:
- “In Hocus Pocus 2, three young women accidentally bring the Sanderson Sisters back to modern day Salem and must figure out how to stop the child-hungry witches from wreaking a new kind of havoc on the world.”
What They’re Saying:
- Adam Shankman, Executive Producer: “As heartbroken as I am that I won’t be able to direct my friends Bette, Sarah Jessica and Kathy in what is sure to be nothing short of a major event for Disney+ due to scheduling conflicts, I couldn’t be more pleased to be handing over the reins to Anne, who has brought so much laughter and joy into people’s lives with her previous work. I am still grateful and proud to help shepherd this ingenious project as executive producer alongside producer Lynn Harris, whom I have loved and admired as a colleague and friend since she helped get me the job choreographing Boogie Nights.”
- Anne Fletcher, Director: “Now more than ever, people need to laugh. We should be laughing every day, and there is so much fun to be had with these three unbelievable women playing delicious characters from such a beloved film. I am so grateful to be able to play a part in bringing these witches back to life, and to be working with my friends at Disney again makes it all the more special. This is a movie for everyone, from the fans who grew up with the first film to the next generation of viewers, and I can’t wait to get started.”
About Hocus Pocus (1993):
- Hocus Pocus was released in 1993, and starred Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy as sisters who were cursed in 1963 in Salem, Massachusetts. The witches were inadvertently resurrected centuries later by a boy who had recently moved from California to Salem. When the witches come to the 20th century, they find that Halloween is now being celebrated as a holiday.
- The original film was directed by Kenny Ortega, with a script by Mick Garris and Neil Cuthbert that was based on a story by Garris and David Kirschner.