Disney launched a 95th Anniversary Celebration for Winnie the Pooh today with a 45-second animated short in which the silly ol’ bear stops by Windsor Castle with a birthday gift for Her Majesty The Queen, who also turns 95 this year.
- This October marks the 95th anniversary of the publication of the first Winnie the Pooh book by A. A. Milne.
- Disney UK kicked off the celebration today with a 45-second animated short called Winnie the Pooh and the Royal Adventure, which is streaming on Disney UK social media accounts (see the Tweet below).
- The short features Winnie the Pooh, Christopher Robin, Piglet, Tigger and Eeyore heading to Windsor Castle to give a birthday present to Queen Elizabeth II, who also turns 95 this year.
- The 1926 book Teddy Bear and the Other Songs from When We Were Very Young was dedicated to “Princess Elizabeth,” who reportedly had a Winnie the Pooh toy tea set as a child.
- Fun fact: There are 95 balloons attached to the hunny pot gift, matching the number of years for both Pooh Bear and Queen Elizabeth II.
- Disney appointed artist Kim Raymond evokes the style of E.H. Shepard’s original illustrations.
- shopDisney UK will release exclusive illustrations by Kim Raymond in their Instagram Stories, depicting the journey back to the Hundred Acre Wood.
- Disney will be releasing commemorative merchandise to honor Winnie the Pooh’s 95th anniversary, including soft toys, apparel, homewear, and loungewear.
Celebrating 95 magical years ?
— Disney UK (@Disney_UK) June 10, 2021
What They’re Saying:
- Kim Raymond, Winnie the Pooh illustrator: “It’s always an honour to draw Winnie the Pooh, and even more so when in the company of Her Majesty the Queen. I have drawn Pooh for over 30 years and continue to be inspired by the classic works of E.H. Shepard. Disney wanted to create a touching story befitting of the world’s most loved bear, who for over 95 years, has touched the hearts of millions. I sincerely hope fans enjoy watching Winnie the Pooh and the Royal Adventure as much as I enjoyed creating it.”
- Tasia Filippatos, Senior Vice President, Consumer Products Commercialization EMEA: “Winnie the Pooh stories hold a unique place in the hearts of so many around the world. The themes of friendship and simple pleasures are more relevant than ever 95 years on and we’re delighted to share this new tale to help fans celebrate his milestone birthday.”