Marvel’s Loki just wrapped up its epis first season with a finale that still has fans buzzing. In it, we got to meet Jonathan Majors as “He Who Remains,” a mysterious new character. Believe it or not though, this was not actually his first role in the series.
- Marvel explained that Majors is set to appear in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania as Kang the conqueror, but first appeared as a variant of the character in the Loki season finale.
- Majors discussed the experience in an interview with Entertainment Weekly:
- "It was one of those moments in one's life, depending on one's occupation, where you go, 'Ah, this is it. This is it.’”
- This was not Majors’ first role in the show though. Director Kate Herron also told Entertainment Weekly that the actor voiced the Time Keepers, the decoy rulers of the TVA.
- When Majors had signed on for the show, they still hadn’t casted the voices of these characters and Herron revealed how they came to the decision to have Majors bring them to life:
- "I was like, 'Oh, let's get Jonathan to do it, because he's an amazing character actor.' We sent him the art of all the characters and it was really fun [because] he was sending us all of these different voices he could do for each character, which was great."
- Loki himself, Tom Hiddleston, shared his praise for Majors’ performance:
- "I just want to salute Jonathan Majors. He came in the last lap of this series and made an extraordinary impact. And it’s quite something to do that for a story, to get to its final chapter and to introduce the character of such breadth, and depth, and charisma, and intelligence. He was dazzling. It was our final week of filming, literally. He came in and blew us all away.”
- As for his performance as “He Who Remains,” Majors credited some surprising experience:
- "There's more smiling in that one performance than there has been in my other performances combined. It's just what it calls for. I'm a classically trained clown. That's part of my training. I've been at it for a long time, and to be able to exercise that was a lot of fun."
- In Marvel Studios’ Loki, the mercurial villain resumes his role as the God of Mischief in a new series that takes place after the events of Avengers: Endgame.
- Tom Hiddleston returns, reprising his role as the title character.
- Michael Waldron is the head writer of the series.
- You can check out Mack’s recap of the season finale here.
- Tom Hiddleston
- Owen Wilson
- Sophia Di Martino
- Gugu Mbatha-Raw
- Richard E. Grant
- Wunmi Mosaku