30 for 30 Podcasts and the Undefeated will explore the life of the late Nipsey Hussle in a new documentary podcast “The King of Crenshaw.” The four episode series debuts on August 23rd and will feature interviews with those who knew Hussle, took inspiration from his music, and reside in the community that raised him.
- 30 for 30 Podcasts, in association with The Undefeated, has announced a new audio documentary “The King of Crenshaw” about the life of the late Nipsey Hussle.
- “The King of Crenshaw” focuses on how Hussle’s life, death and legacy deeply impacted the sports world and how that overlap of Black male creativity, talent and ambition will forever live on.
- All four episodes of the series will debut on Monday, August 23rd.
- A bonus episode will debut the following week.
- Episode 1: To Live and Die in LA
- Nipsey Hussle’s tragic murder on March 31, 2019, in front of his South LA clothing store elicited immediate tributes across industries, walks of life and international boarders.
- VOICES: DeMarcus Cousins, Isaiah Thomas, DeMar DeRozan, Bryan Robinson, Devi Brown, Gerrick Kennedy, Amira Rose Davis, Blacc Sam
- Episode 2: Where You From?
- Nipsey Hussle is a Los Angeles icon, but what’s the story behind that? Before the fame, he was Ermias Asghedom, a young kid coming of age in South Crenshaw district.
- VOICES: Blacc Sam, Cobby Supreme, Pacman da Gunman, J-Stone, DeMar DeRozan, Jorja Leap
- Episode 3: Songs in the Key of Life
- A decade-plus-long journey through time that weaves in the highs, lows, joys and pains of Nipsey’s voyage to his debut album ‘Victory Lap.’
- VOICES: Isaiah Thomas, Blacc Sam, J-Stone, Devi Brown, DeMar DeRozan, DeMarcus Cousins
- Episode 4: Neighborhood Nip
- Nipsey traveled across the world, but all of his love and loyalty funneled back to the community that raised him.
- VOICES: DeMarcus Cousins, Marqueece Harris-Dawson, Blacc Sam, Cobby Supreme, Pacman da Gunman, Amira Rose Davis, DeMar DeRozan, Gerrick Kennedy, Devi Brown, Isaiah Thomas, David Gross
- BONUS EPISODE: The Xtra Lap
- Nipsey’s life story lives on in his music, but only a handful of people witnessed Hussle in creation mode. Meet the brothers behind the beats and hear some of the secrets of the “slaps.”
- VOICES: 1500 or Nothin’, Mike & Keys
What They’re Saying:
- Justin Tinsley: “Despite the tragically senseless way his life ended, Nipsey Hussle’s 33 years on Earth made so much sense. “The King of Crenshaw” is a thoughtful, enlightening and nuanced voyage into Nipsey’s life and the legacy that will speak volumes for generations to come, in particular generations of Black folks across the world. It was never lost on me that this series was produced and released during a time when America was forced to examine its flaws, insecurities and racial politics like very few times in history. Over the course of a year through reporting and interviews, one thing remained clear to me: whether people loved Nipsey Hussle personally or witnessed the impact he was leaving on his community and the world around him from afar, his life mattered. And it will always matter.”
- The Undefeated’s Senior Culture and Sports Writer, Justin Tinsley narrates this tragic, yet inspirational story on the intersection between sports and music.
- The series production is led by Joanne Griffith
- Production team includes:
- Gus Navarro
- Dave King
- Derwin Graham
- The Undefeated’s Deputy Editor Steve Reiss is the series editor.
- The project is overseen by 30 for 30 Podcasts’ Senior Editorial Producer Julia Lowrie Henderson