SeaWorld San Diego announced that the 6-year-old orca Amaya passed suddenly after showing signs of an illness on Wednesday.
- Amaya, SeaWorld San Diego’s young orca has passed. SeaWorld San Diego has shared a statement online by Petey, one of Amay’s animal care specialists about the passing.
- Petey says, “Amaya was a playful, fun-loving orca that always put smiles on people’s faces. She will be missed by our team and the guests that she inspired. Thank you so much for the outpouring of love and support. This is a very difficult time for those who knew and loved Amaya. She taught millions of guests to appreciate this amazing species. The specialists who cared for her at SeaWorld are heartbroken.”
We come to you today with news of the passing of Amaya, a truly amazing orca and member of our SeaWorld family.
“Amaya was a playful, fun-loving orca that always put smiles on people’s faces.” said Petey, one of her animal care specialists. “She will be missed by our team..1/3
— SeaWorld (@SeaWorld) August 20, 2021
- CNN has reported that the young orca showed signs of an illness on Wednesday and specialists had started treatment on her, but almost 24 hours later she had died.
- The cause of death is unknown but a post-mortem is being done, which can take several weeks.
- SeaWorld San Diego now has nine orcas in their care.