The “What If…T’Challa Became a Star-Lord?” and “What If…the World Lost Its Mightiest Heroes?” feature scores by Emmy-winning composer Laura Karpman are available today. The releases will be followed by the “What If…? Original Soundtrack Episode 4” digital album available on September 3, with subsequent weekly releases for each episode of the series.
- The score was produced by Karpman and Nora Kroll-Rosenbaum and album producers are Brad Winderbaum, Bryan Andrews and Dave Jordan.
- Karpman creates powerful, imaginative scores that push the boundaries of storytelling.
- Her award-winning music, spanning film, television, theater, interactive media and live performance, reflects an audaciously creative, prodigious, fresh spirit.
- Karpman collaborates with the most creative filmmakers of our time, including:
- Misha Green
- Steven Spielberg
- Alex Gibney
- Kasi Lemmons
- Rory Kennedy
- Sam Pollard
- Laura Nix
- Eleanor, Francis Ford and Sophia Coppola
- The five-time Emmy winner’s scores span the HBO hit series Lovecraft Country, 2020 Oscar-nominated Walk Run Cha-Cha, and the Discovery Channel docuseries Why We Hate, for which she recently won an Emmy Award.
- You can find the soundtrack from Episode 2 here and the Episode 3 soundtrack here.
What they’re saying:
- Composer Laura Karpman: “Episodes two and three are portraits of two very different moments in the ‘What If…?’ multi-verse! ‘What If… T’Challa Became a Star-Lord?’ (Episode 2), is a mash up of themes from ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ and ‘Black Panther’ – they surprisingly go well together. We also very much honor our beloved Chadwick Boseman with a musical tribute. ‘What If… the World Lost Its Mightiest Heroes?’ (Episode 3), is a mystery-thriller and the score makes the most of this mini-movie! It is truly epic!”
About What If…?:
- “Marvel Studios’ first animated series, taking inspiration from the comic books of the same name. Each episode will explore a pivotal moment from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and turn it on its head, leading the audience into uncharted territory. What If…? flips the script on the MCU, reimagining famous events from the films in unexpected ways. Marvel Studios’ first animated series focuses on different heroes from the MCU, featuring a voice cast that includes a host of stars who reprise their roles. The series is directed by Bryan Andrews; Ashley Bradley is head writer.”