- Owen Wilson, who recently portrayed the role of Agent Mobius in the Marvel Original Series, Loki, has been tapped to be a part of the cast of the upcoming Haunted Mansion film, based on the titular Disney Parks attraction.
- While the story remains vague at this point, it has been reported that we will follow a family that moves into the mansion, with the characters around them that will really be the stars of the show.
- The news of Wilson joining the cast follows the recent additions of both Lakeith Stanfield and Tiffany Haddish to the already increasing list of performers.
- Details on what role Wilson will be playing in the movie are unclear at this time, as is the size of the role.
- Stanfield is expected to play a widower who once believed in the supernatural but is now a rather lifeless tour guide in New Orleans’s French Quarter. Haddish is reportedly set to play a psychic hired to commune with the dead.”
- Fans may recall that Walt Disney Pictures has already made a film based on the theme park attraction back in 2003. Starring Eddie Murphy as Jim Evers, the film followed a realtor who was summoned to the Mansion under the guise of selling the house, invited to stay overnight while the ghost owner of the home attempted to show that Evers’ wife was the reincarnation of his own love interest, Elizabeth. The film was met with harsh criticism and poor box office results, especially when compared to the success of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl which was released earlier that year. Reports make it clear that this new film is in now way connected to the previous 2003 version.
- The new movie is set to begin production in Atlanta next month, with Justin Simien (Dear White People, Bad Hair) helming the film and making his big-budget studio debut with a script by Katie Dippold.
- This film is the latest of the theme park inspired films, with the most recent, Jungle Cruise, starring Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt on Disney+ Premier Access and Theaters where available.