According to Variety, The Walt Disney Company has promoted PR executive April Carretta to head of communications for its direct-to-consumer business.
- In her new role, Carretta will lead communications globally for Disney’s portfolio of direct-to-consumer video streaming businesses under its Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution division (DMED), including consumer, content publicity, international, crisis communications and incident management, as well as internal employee communications.
- DMED, which is led by chairman Kareem Daniel, manages operations for streamers Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney+ Hotstar, as well as broadcast and cable television networks. The direct-to-consumer arm handles P&L management and all distribution, network and engineering operations, sales, advertising, data and technology functions worldwide for these platforms.
- Carretta will report directly to Heather Hust Rivera, senior vice president of communications for Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution overall.
- Leading communications for Disney’s platform distribution organization since 2019, Carretta has played an important part in comms across all of DMED’s third-party media sales efforts for distribution, content sales agreements, affiliate marketing for direct-to-consumer services and linear media networks, global theatrical film distribution, and other Disney properties including Disney Music Group and the El Capitan Theater.
- Prior to joining Disney, Carretta held comms roles at Twentieth Century Fox, Edelman, and Sony Pictures.