During the Annecy Festival, Disney Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA) announced several new projects heading to Disney+, Disney Channel and Disney Junior. All of the projects are created or produced within the EMEA region, designed to be culturally specific while universally appealing to a global audience. The presentation was led by Orion Ross, Vice President of Animation and Hélène Etzi, Country Manager France for Disney EMEA and celebrated the upcoming July 23rd premiere of Chip ‘n’ Dale: Park Life, with the short “The Ghost” playing during the festival.
Kizazi Moto: Generation Fire
- A 10-part anthology short film series told through an African lens.
- Each short comes from a different director from across the continent, including South Africa, Kenya, Zimbabwe and Egypt.
- Peter Ramsey serves as executive producer, best known as one of the directors on Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.
- Stories will include typical science fiction themes like time travel and exploring other worlds, but all through the prism of African culture.
- Triggerfish Animation Studios will be animating the series for Disney+.
- Kizazi Moto: Generation Fire will debut in late 2022.
Kiya and the Kimoji Heroes
- This preschool friendly series follows 7-year-old Kiya, an African girl who loves dancing and martial arts.
- Along with her friends, Kiya uses crystal headbands to transform into superheroes.
- Animated in Africa, the series will feature African and Asian lead characters.
- The themes of the show are about community, empathy, and the universal bonds of sharing.
- Disney Junior and Disney Channel will distribute Kiya and the Kimoji Heroes around the world.
- Now in production on its 6th season in France.
- The new season will expand the lineup of heroes.
- From South African creators, Kiff will be animated in LA by Disney Television Animation.
- Phineas and Ferb producer Kent Osborne will serve as producer on the series.
- “Kiff” is slang for “Pinniacle” in Africa and is the name of the energetic squirrel the series is about.
- Each episode will feature two 11-minute segments, each with a high-energy song.
- Kiff will premiere in 2023.
Zagtoon Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir
- The worldwide hit recently premiered its second special event, Miraculous World: Shanghai – The Legend of Lady Dragon, to huge ratings.
- Season 4 is launching now and season 5 is currently in production.
- According to creator/director Thomas Astruc, the next season will feature even higher stakes for Marinette.
- From the team behind Miraculous comes Ghostforce, a new high energy adventure series.
- Set in New York City, the series follows three kids who have the power to see ghosts and transform to help catch them.
- Each half-hour episode will be split into two 11-minute segments.
- The series mixes the fun of ghost hunting with the popular superhero genre.
- Other than the title, all that was revealed is that this series will come to Disney Channel in 2022.
The Unstoppable Yellow Yeti
- Coming in 2022, but no other information revealed.