Disney and Cameron Mackintosh’s Australian production of Mary Poppins swept the 2011 Green Room Awards, Melbourne’s premiere arts awards ceremony on March 21st, winning nine of 12 honors in the musical theatre category including:
- Best Musical
- Best Direction (Richard Eyre & Matthew Bourne)
- Best Female Artist (Verity Hunt-Ballard)
- Best Costume & Set Design (Bob Crowley)
- Best Choreography (Matthew Bourne & Stephen Mear)
- Best Male Artist in A Featured Role (Philip Quast)
- Best Ensemble Performance
- Best Sound Design (Peter Grubb)
- Best Musical Direction (Michael Tyack)
Disney Theatricals’ Mary Poppins has now earned 35 major theatre awards including Tony®, Olivier and Evening Standard awards.
The Melbourne production of Mary Poppins premiered on Thursday, July 29, 2010 at Her Majesty’s Theatre. The production and its original cast will arrive at the Capitol Theatre for the Sydney premiere beginning Sunday, April 17 (opening night is May 5).