To celebrate the 90th anniversary of Winnie the Pooh, Independent research company Fly Research questioned 1,000 adults aged 18 and above in September 2016 from across the UK to come up with their favorite “pooh-isms”. Here are some of the most popular results:
- “A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference.”
- “If the string breaks, try another piece of string.”
- “The most important thing is, even if we’re apart, I’ll always be with you.”
- “It isn’t much good having anything exciting, if you can’t share it with somebody.”
- “Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”
- “Never let things come to you, go out and fetch them.”
- “You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”
- “Love is taking a few steps backward, maybe even more… to give way to the happiness of the person you love.”
- “It’s best to know what you’re looking for before you look for it.”
- “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”
Dr. Catherine McCall, philosopher and patron of The Philosophy Foundation, believes Pooh has proven his place amongst history’s greatest philosophers. She has developed a theory to determine his unique philosophy and how it compares to some of philosophy’s greatest minds.
“Winnie the Pooh may never have had a university professorship or even gone to school, but his words, experiences and adventures have stood the test of time,” said Dr. Catherine McCall. “Poohisms encapsulate the thinking of many famous philosophers in beautiful, clear and memorable sayings that have inspired children and parents for generations.”
To mark 90 years since the first publication of A.A. Milne’s ‘Winnie the Pooh’, Disney has created a special edition ‘Thoughtful Spot’ bench featuring a talking statue of Pooh that will tour the UK, Europe, and the US in 2017. The talking bench will allow people to sit, think, listen and reflect on Winnie the Pooh’s words of wisdom, including “Rivers know this: there is no hurry, we shall get there some day.”
Multiple limited-edition product lines have been launched in celebration of Winnie-the-Pooh’s 90th anniversary. Winnie-the-Pooh was the star of the debut Disney X Cath Kidston collection in September, which resulted in record high traffic for Cath Kidston’s website and the majority of products selling out within hours of launch.