Every two years, the D23 Expo gives Disney fans a sneak peek at what the company has in store for the coming months. While much of the buzz is about the headlining panels that discuss new films and projects for the parks, let’s not forget something else Disney fans all love: the stuff. Bringing you the latest in books, video games, and more, Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media (DCPI) has just announced their plans for this year’s Expo. Here’s what you can look forward to:
The Walt Disney Company’s Celebrated Product Legacy and the Exciting Future Ahead
Friday, July 14, 10 a.m., The Walt Disney Archives Stage
Fans and collectors are invited to the ultimate inside look at how products and collectibles have become an essential part of the fan experience for Disney, Pixar, Star Wars and Marvel. This session will provide a look back at the important role consumer products have played in the history of the Company, as well as a sneak peek at the product development process. Attendees will also get a first look at some of the most exciting upcoming and new product lines. And they can also expect a few surprises that no fan will want to miss!
Level Up! The Walt Disney Company’s Video Game Showcase
Saturday, July 15, 1 p.m., D23 Expo Arena
At the Games showcase, fans will experience never-before-seen gameplay, trailers, special guests, and other unforgettable surprises from across the Disney, Star Wars, and Marvel games portfolios. Jimmy Pitaro, Chairman, DCPI, will kick off the presentation, which will feature many show-stopping moments including announcements from Marvel, and more information about highly anticipated games, including Star Wars Battlefront II™ from Electronic Arts, KINGDOM HEARTS III from Disney and Square Enix, and more.
Disney Books Panels and Presentations
Friday, July 14, Sunday, July 16, various stages
Guests will be able to go inside the pages of their favorite classic and contemporary stories during Disney Publishing Worldwide’s series of exclusive panels and presentations.
- On Friday, July 14, at 10:30 a.m. in the D23 Expo Arena, Gravity Falls series creator Alex Hirsch and Star vs. The Forces of Evil series creator Daron Nefcy will discuss what it’s like to bring hit Disney XD series from the screen to page with bestselling titles Gravity Falls: Journal 3 and Star vs. The Forces of Evil: Star and Marco’s Guide to Mastering Every Dimension.
- Mindy Johnson, author of Ink & Paint: The Women of Walt Disney’s Animation, will interview a panel of animators past and present and share how women make remarkable contributions to the legacy of Walt Disney’s animation studio. The presentation will take place on the Walt Disney Archives Stage on Friday, July 14, at 4:30 p.m.
- Disney Legends Richard Sherman and Floyd Norman will invite fans to the D23 Expo Arena on Saturday, July 15, at 6 p.m. for a one-of-a-kind discussion about their upcoming book A Kiss Goodnight.
- Marcy Smothers, author of the upcoming title Eat Like Walt: The Wonderful World of Disney Food, will show guests in the Walt Disney Archives Stage on Sunday, July 16, at 10 a.m. how Walt Disney infused fun and creativity into his food—from his family’s kitchen table to the Happiest Place on Earth.
- On Sunday, July 16, at 4:15 p.m. on Stage 28, Kingdom Keepers author Ridley Pearson, Disney Legend Marty Sklar, and fellow Imagineers will explore the history of Disney Parks through Maps of Disney Parks: Charting 60 Years from California to Shanghai.
- Celebrating the 90th anniversary of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Dave Bossert and David Gerstein, authors of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit: The Search for the Lost Disney Cartoons, will showcase the definitive history of the iconic character on Sunday, July 16, at 6 p.m. on Stage 28.
Throughout the weekend, select authors and artists will be available for signings and meet and greets at Talent Central and the Disney Dream Store.
DCPI Pavilion and Oh My Disney Stage
In the DCPI pavilion on the show floor, fans can “Live the Magic” and experience how Disney, Pixar, Star Wars and Marvel can enrich their daily lives. Divided into four distinct lifestyle environments, guests will be able to preview and experience all-new cross-category offerings from Disney’s licensees, authors and artists, including playing the latest games from Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars, immersing themselves in the pavilion’s park environment of outdoor play and creativity, or watching cooking demos in the kitchen environment featuring influencers from Disney Family and Disney Publishing Worldwide.
At the heart of the DCPI pavilion is the Oh My Disney Stage, which will bring the fun, fresh voice of Oh My Disney to life through daily surprise-and-delight moments, including celebrity guests, panels, performances, game shows, toy unboxings, first looks, and a live taping of The Oh My Disney Show hosted by Maker creator Alexys Gabrielle. The stage’s events, programs, and shows will be shared live across the Disney Digital Network’s editorial channels like Oh My Disney, Disney Style, Polaris, and Disney Family and social accounts for every Disney character, franchise, and film. The full Oh My Disney Stage schedule and live streams will be revealed in July.
Tickets for D23 Expo 2017 are available for $81 for one-day adult admission and $59 for children 3–9. Members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club can purchase tickets for $72 for a one-day adult admission and $53 for children 3–9. Multi-day tickets are also available. For more information on tickets and D23 Expo 2017, visit D23expo.com.