In celebration of Earth Day today, the first trailer for Disneynature’s Penguins has been released.
- Penguins is a coming-of-age story about an Adélie penguin named Steve who joins millions of fellow males in the icy Antarctic spring on a quest to build a suitable nest, find a life partner and start a family.
- None of it comes easily for him, especially considering he’s targeted by everything from killer whales to leopard seals, who unapologetically threaten his happily ever after.
- The documentary is directed by Alastair Fothergill l (Earth, African Cats, Chimpanzee, etc.) with Mark Linfield and Jeff Wilson co-directing.
- Disneynature’s Penguins will arrive in theatres Earth Day 2019.
More from Penguins and Disneynature :
- Penguins will be the eighth theatrical release for Disneynature.
- The label was first announced 10 years ago today and was the first Disney-branded film label from The Walt Disney Studios in more than 60 years.
- Disneynature’s first seven theatrical releases, Earth, Oceans, African Cats, Chimpanzee, Bears, Monkey Kingdom and Born in China, are seven of the top eight highest grossing feature-length nature films to date, with Chimpanzee garnering a record-breaking opening weekend for the genre.
- The label has also released other documentaries non-theatrically, including The Crimson Wing: Mystery of the Flamingos, Wings of Life, Growing Up Wild, Expedition China, and Ghost of the Mountains.
- Disneynature’s commitment to conservation is a key pillar of the label and the films empower the audience to help make a difference, with each film driving significant conservation outcomes, supporting wildlife featured in the films. Previous films have helped to plant trees, donate to the National Park Foundation, and more.
- Walt Disney was a pioneer in wildlife documentary filmmaking, producing 13 True Life Adventure motion pictures between 1948 and 1960, including Seal Island (1948), Beaver Valley (1950), The Living Desert (1953) and Jungle Cat (1958). The films earned eight Academy Awards.
Disneynature’s Penguins is set to open in theatres for Earth Day 2019.