Today, ABC announced that it was renewing its American Idol revival for another season.
- Judges Luke Bryan, Katy Perry and Lionel Richie will all return, as will host Ryan Seacrest.
- ABC brought the iconic singing competition back to television this year after the original incarnation’s 15-year run on Fox.
- In its first season on ABC, American Idol has finished as Sunday’s No. 1 entertainment broadcast series on each of its 8 telecasts this season in Live + Same Day Adults 18-49.
- The show also broke new ground this past week, simulcasting nationwide so that both East Coast and West Coast viewers can vote in real time. This stunt will continue for the next two weeks.
- Notable to Disney fans, the show also held its first Disney Night, which also featured Idina Menzel as a mentor to the Top 10 contestants.
What they’re saying:
- Channing Dungey, president of ABC Entertainment. “We knew that American Idol on ABC would unleash an opportunity for singers from all walks of life to realize their dreams and that these incredible contestants would have America rooting for their success. I am thrilled that Katy, Luke, Lionel and Ryan will be back to once again embark on this Idol journey with us to discover the next crop of inspiring talent.”
- Trish Kinane, president of Entertainment Programming & producer/showrunner of American Idol: “American Idol’s return on ABC has shown once again that viewers love to discover and support raw talent. Our new judges Katy Perry, Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie have brought huge credibility, energy and fun to the show this year, and we are so excited to continue the journey with Ryan Seacrest at the helm in the search for the next superstar.”
- Dennis Miller, executive chairman of CORE Media Group: “Our team is incredibly proud of the success we have had with ‘American Idol’ on ABC, and we are excited to search for more talent nationwide with a second season. We look forward to furthering our relationship with the network, our partners at FremantleMedia, Luke, Katy, Lionel, Ryan, and all those who audition to become the next American Idol as we continue to entertain fans with incredible performances week after week!”
American Idol airs Sunday at 8:00 p.m. EDT/5:00 p.m. PDT