According to The Hollywood Reporter, Lucasfilm’s Industrial Light & Magic has created a new position for Rob Bredow. Bredow is now the Senior Vice President, Executive Creative Director and Head of ILM. The announcement was made on Wednesday.
- Rob Bredow has been named Senior VP, Executive Creative Director and Head of ILM. The announcement came on Wednesday, May 9th.
- Bredow joined ILM as a VFX supervisor in 2014 and was promoted shortly after to VP of new media and head of Lucasfilm’s advanced development group.
- In 2015 he was on the team that launched Lucasfilm’s ILM x LAB a virtual reality and immersive experience division of the company.
- Bredow is currently serving as VFX supervisor and co-producer on Solo: A Star Wars Story.
- The change in title means that Bredow will be in charge of ILM’s four studios — in London, San Francisco, Singapore, and Vancouver. He’ll report to Lucasfilm general manager, Lynwen Brennan.
- Gretchen Libby has been promoted to VP of Marketing and Production. Libby started with ILM in 1997 as a Production Manager. She’s also served as VFX producer and was involved in the studio expansions in Singapore, Vancouver, and London.
What they’re saying:
- Lucasfilm President, Kathleen Kennedy on Rob Bredow: “I’ve been working very closely with Rob over the past two years on Solo. Filmmaking is often about problem solving and Rob comes to every challenge with a strong creative point of view and the ability to find the best solution every time. This and his business acumen make him an ideal candidate to lead ILM, which has always stood at the crossroads of technology and artistry.”
- Lucasfilm general manager, Lynwen Brennan on Bredow: “I am thrilled that Rob is going to be leading ILM into the future. He is the perfect fit for the role combining creativity, innovation and business savvy.”
- Bredow on the promotion: “ILM is a special place. Getting to work with some of the best artists, engineers and producers in the business to create ground-breaking visuals for films and immersive experiences is an incredible honor. Having grown up on movies like Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park, I fell in love with visual effects watching ILM’s work. Being asked to lead this company in an exciting time of innovation is an incredible honor.”
- Lynwen Brennan on Gretchen Libby: “Gretchen is a key member of our executive team and has been instrumental in numerous strategic initiatives in recent years, from marketing the studio to our global expansion. She brings depth of production understanding that is prized within the company and continues to be invaluable to our clients.”