The Mandarin production of Beauty and the Beast is coming to Shanghai Disneyland on June 14th. The dazzling stage show will perform at the Walt Disney Grand Theatre in Disneytown at the Shanghai Disneyland Resort. The Disney Parks Blog shared the exciting details.
- The Shanghai Disneyland resort is will be home to the Mandarin production of Beauty and the Beast starting on June 14th.
- The show will perform at the Walt Disney Grand Theatre in the Resort’s downtown district, Disneytown.
- Tickets for the production will go on sale on May 24th.
- Beauty and the Beast was the first film that Disney adapted for the stage. The creative team behind the 1994 production is currently in Shanghai working with local cast and crew on their adaptation of the beloved story.
- The Lion King was the first show to perform at the Grand Theatre. It opened along with Shanghai Disneyland in June of 2016.
What they’re saying:
Philippe Gas, general manager of Shanghai Disney Resort: “The new Mandarin production of Beauty and the Beast is a magnificent addition to the one-of-a-kind, immersive entertainment at Shanghai Disney Resort. We believe it will resonate deeply with the Chinese audience, as this tale as old as time is brought to life on stage in Mandarin at the Walt Disney Grand Theatre.”
Thomas Schumacher, president and producer, Disney Theatrical Productions: “Beauty and the Beast was Disney’s first musical on Broadway and ultimately became one of the longest-running and most beloved shows of all time. Following the success of The Lion King, I am thrilled to collaborate with the Shanghai Disney Resort team once again and to welcome the Broadway production’s original director, Rob Roth and his creative team as they recreate this treasured story for Chinese audiences at the beautiful Walt Disney Grand Theatre.”
More Shanghai Disneyland news:
- Shanghai Disneyland opened their first park expansion on April 26th. The brand new Toy Story Land features Woody’s Roundup, Rex’s Racers, and Slinky Dog Spin.
- During the last week of April, China Eastern Airlines debuted a Toy Story themed plane. The airline is currently flying the plane between Beijing and Shanghai with additional Chinese cities to be added at a later date.