Disney has once again partnered with the UN Foundation’s Girl Up initiative. This year they are introducing a new program for aspiring filmmakers. 21 young women from around the world will create a digital short featuring a female role model. Disney’s Jennifer Lee will be the subject of one of these digital shorts.
- According to the Hollywood Reporter, Disney and the UN Foundation’s Girls Up initiative have launched a new program that will focus on young female filmmakers.
- 21 young adults will produce digital shorts that feature the stories of their female role models.
- Disney’s Jennifer Lee will be one of the role models featured. She recently was named the Chief Creative Officer of Walt Disney Animation Studios. Lee also won an Academy Award for writing and directing the wildly popular movie, Frozen.
- At this time, Disney plans to offer these shorts on its social media platforms in October.
- Additionally, for each like or share of a video or photo with #DreamBigPrincess on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, Disney Worldwide Services will donate $1 to Girl Up, with a minimum donation of $500,000 and a maximum donation of $1 million.
About the production of the shorts:
- The filmmakers are also supported by Apple and female-led production company Summerjax.
- Each young producer will make their videos using Apple products:
- iPhone X to shoot their film
- Final Cut Pro X to edit their project
- MacBook Pro will run the Final Cut Pro X program
- Each filmmaker was selected by Disney and Girl Up and will receive training from Apple and mentoring from Summerjax and Disney.
What they’re saying:
- Jennifer Lee: “Using the journeys of characters like Anna, Elsa and Moana to inspire kids to dream big is at the very heart of what all of us at Disney do. The #DreamBigPrincess series is the perfect extension of that vision, providing a powerful platform for the next generation of aspiring filmmakers to create content about the women who have inspired them.”
Previous Disney and Girl Up projects:
- In 2017, Disney and Girl Up presented a #DreamBigPrincess photography series highlighting the artistic stylings of 19 female photographers. The campaign was successful and Disney donated $1 million to the Girl Up initiative.