It looks like 20th Century Fox is stepping up to the plate and is looking to produce a prequel to the 1993 classic The Sandlot.
- According to Deadline, the studio is in the early stages of developing a Sandlot prequel project.
- Currently, plans call for the original film’s writer and director David Mickey Evans to return, penning a script with Austin Reynolds.
- Deadline reports that few plot details are known at this time, but rumors suggest the legend of “the beast” could be a focus point.
- The Sandlot was first released in 1993 and become a nostalgic favorite in both the sports genre and beyond.
- Two sequels to the film have also been produced: The Sandlot 2 in 2005 and The Sandlot: Heading Home in 2007. Both were released direct to video.
The Disney Connection
- Given the presumed timeline the proposed prequel would face, it’s very likely that, if the project were to move forward, it would come to fruition under Disney ownership.
- It’s also easy to imagine a scenario where the film might wind up being released exclusively on Disney’s upcoming streaming service.
- Additionally, co-writer Austin Reynolds is a Disney Writers program alumnus.