Disney Television Animation has prepared a new series of shorts based on Big Hero 6 character, Baymax. The lovable robotic health companion will star in 3 shorts titled Baymax Dreams.
- Earlier today, The Hollywood Reporter shared news that a new series of shorts starring Baymax from Big Hero 6 will debut in September.
- Disney Television Animation will launch Baymax Dreams on the DisneyNOW app and Disney Channel YouTube on September 15th.
- Each short will run 2-3 minutes, and features Baymax, dreaming of electric sheep, bedbugs and duplicates of himself. The series is directed by Simon J. Smith (Bee Movie, Penguins of Madagascar and short Shrek 4D).
- Disney worked with Unity Technologies to create these shorts using Unity’s advanced real-time rendering technology. While traditionally used for gaming to speed up content creation, Disney and Unity are exploring ways to apply the technology to VFX in animation.
What they’re saying:
- Director Simon J. Smith: “Working in Unity is like having every department at your fingertips. The results of Unity’s parallel, non-linear workflow and real-time rendering meant we were able to make Baymax Dreams in half the time — allowing us to spend the other half on experimentation and the creative process.”
Baymax Dreams will premiere on the DisneyNOW app and Disney Channel’s YouTube on September 15th.