A spinoff of ABC’s The Middle, which ended its nine-year run this year, has received a pilot production commitment from the network and, if picked up, would bring more Sue Heck to the airwaves.
- As Deadline reports, the working-titled Sue Heck Spinoff has received a pilot order from ABC.
- The show will find Eden Sher reprising her role as Sue Heck from The Middle and comes from that show’s creators, Eileen Heisler and DeAnn Heline.
- According to Deadline, the spin will feature Sue “as she leaves the small town of Orson to navigate the ups and downs of a career and young adulthood in the big city of Chicago.”
- Word of the spinoff first emerged in the aftermath of the Roseanne cancelation as ABC sought to find another show that spoke the heartland as both The Middle and Roseanne did.
- Speaking of comedy spinoffs, the non-Roseanne Barr cast of Roseanne will return with The Conners this fall while a 90s-set spinoff of The Goldbergs called Schooled is set for midseason.