Disney has announced that production has officially begun on the new live-action Mulan film directed by Niki Caro.
- Disney announced today that filming has begun on the upcoming live-action adaptation of Mulan. The film will shoot on locations in New Zealand and China and will open in U.S. theaters on March 27, 2020.
- The story of the legendary warrior is one of China’s most popular folktales, and is still a part of the curriculum in Chinese schools today.
- The film is directed by Niki Caro (Whale Rider, McFarland USA) and stars:
- Liu Yifei (The Forbidden Kingdom, Once Upon a Time) as Hua Mulan
- Donnie Yen (“Star Wars: Rogue One)
- Jason Scott Lee (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny)
- Yoson An (The Meg)
- Utkarsh Ambudkar (Pitch Perfect)
- Ron Yuan (Marco Polo)
- Tzi Ma (Arrival)
- Rosalind Chao (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
- Cheng Pei-Pei (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
- Nelson Lee
- Chum Ehelepola
- Gong Li (Memoirs of a Geisha, Raise the Red Lantern)
- Jet Li (Shaolin Temple, Lethal Weapon 4)
- “Mulan is the epic adventure of a fearless young woman who masquerades as a man in order to fight Northern Invaders attacking China. The eldest daughter of an honored warrior, Hua Mulan is spirited, determined and quick on her feet. When the Emperor issues a decree that one man per family must serve in the Imperial Army, she steps in to take the place of her ailing father as Hua Jun, becoming one of China’s greatest warriors ever.”
- Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (Jurassic World, In the Heart of the Sea) and Elizabeth Martin & Lauren Hynek wrote the screenplay based on the narrative poem: The Ballad of Mulan.
- Jason T. Reed (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), Chris Bender (A History of Violence) and Jake Weiner (Criminal) are producing the film.
- Barrie M. Osborne (The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King), Bill Kong (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Monster Hunt) and Tim Coddington (Crazy Rich Asians) will serve as executive producers.