Last week, as a new image from Ralph Breaks the Internet depicting many of the Disney princesses in their slumber party attire debuted, some fans noticed that Tiana from Disney’s Princess and the Frog appeared to have a lighter skin tone.
UPDATE: Just after we posted this story, Oh My Disney released the image in question without the EW watermark. This updated version seems darker overall, so a lighter version may be to blame for the controversy. it’s unclear which version is more accurate to what will appear on screen. In any case, here’s a look at both versions of the image:
- In Ralph Breaks the Internet, Vanellope encounters a number of Disney princesses — as seen in the film’s trailer.
- Among these princesses is Tiana, who is once again voiced by Disney Legend Anika Noni Rose.
- As HuffPost reports, some fans have shared a newly-released still of the movie on social media alongside other images of Tiana to show the change in color.
In today’s edition of “you tried it,” Disney decided to reinforce colorism by lightening Princess Tiana’s skin in #RalphBreaksTheInternet. Tiana was a dark skin Black woman in Princess and the Frog, now she has light skin and Eurocentric features. What happened to her wide nose? pic.twitter.com/YnX9eFPLm9
— The Cali Nerd (@TheCaliNerd) August 9, 2018
- Others have also noted that Tiana’s look also seems different from the film’s trailer
why does princess tiana look so different from the wreck it ralph trailer we got 2 months ago to today’s new still……….let me know pic.twitter.com/h63b4DXE03
— َ (@thebaudeIaires) August 9, 2018
- Meanwhile, some fans are also accusing the studio of making similar changes to Pocahontas’s skin tone as well
Disney you ain’t slick Tiana went from full black to half black real quick and Pocahontas went from Native American to a white person with a tan pic.twitter.com/UQrEchQsRp
— ella (@ella56821103) August 10, 2018
- This isn’t the first time Disney has run into controversy regarding the skin tone of their black characters.
- Earlier this year, a photo featuring a Black Pather pin sold in the Disney Parks made waves when it seemed to show a lighter version of T’Challa under the mask.
- However, the taker of the photo later said the percieved skin tone was due to bright lighting conditions when the image was captured.
- Wreck Breaks the Internet is set to hit theatres November 21st.