Disney has announced the new organizational structure for their Media Networks segment (TV) for after the acquisition of 21st Century Fox. This announcement was conditional for the closing of the deal which is expected in early 2019.
Peter Rice, currently President of 21st Century Fox and Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Fox Networks Group, will become Chairman Walt Disney Television and Co-Chair Disney Media Networks. Reporting to Bob Iger, Rice will oversee the ABC Television Network, ABC Studios, the ABC Owned Television Stations Group, Disney Channels, Freeform, Twentieth Century Fox Television, FX Networks and FX Productions, Fox 21 Television Studios, and the National Geographic channels.
Who Will Report to Peter Rice:
- Dana Walden, Chairman, Disney Television Studios and ABC Entertainment
- John Landgraf, Chairman of FX Networks and FX Productions
- Gary E. Knell, Chairman of National Geographic Partners
- Gary Marsh, President and Chief Creative Officer, Disney Channels Worldwide
- James Goldston, President, ABC News
Dana Walden, currently Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Fox Television Group, will oversee Twentieth Century Fox Television and Fox 21 Television Studios, as well as ABC Entertainment, ABC Studios, Freeform and the ABC Owned Television Stations Group. Ms. Walden is currently Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Fox Television Group.
Who Will Report to Dana Walden:
- Channing Dungey, President, ABC Entertainment
- Patrick Moran, President, ABC Studios
- Jonathan Davis and Howard Kurtzman, Presidents of Twentieth Century Fox Television
- Bert Salke, President, Fox 21 Television Studios
- Tom Ascheim, President, Freeform
- Wendy McMahon, President, ABC Owned Television Stations Group
What They Are Saying:
- Bob Iger, Disney’s Chairman and CEO: “The strength of 21st Century Fox’s first-class management talent has always been a compelling part of this opportunity for us. Upon completion of the acquisition, this new structure positions these proven leaders to help drive maximum value from a greatly enhanced portfolio of incredible brands and businesses.”
- Peter Rice, New Chairman, Walt Disney Television and Co-Chair, Disney Media Networks: “I love making television and have been fortunate to work with incredibly talented executives and storytellers. Disney is the world’s preeminent creative company, and I look forward to working for Bob, and with his exceptional leadership team, to build on that amazing legacy. I also want to thank Rupert, Lachlan and James Murdoch for the privilege of working on such a wide array of movies and television, both entertainment and sports. It has been a wonderful thirty years.”
Ben Sherwood, the current Co-Chair, Disney Media Networks and President, Disney-ABC Television Group, will depart Disney following the acquisition. “I want to personally thank Ben Sherwood for his years of service at ABC and Disney. Ben has been a valued colleague, and I deeply appreciate his many contributions and insights, as well as his professionalism and cooperation in this transition,” Mr. Iger said.