Hulu has given a direct-to-series order to Wu-Tang: An American Saga, a drama series that will chronicle one of the most influential hip-hop groups of all-time.
- Wu-Tang: An American Saga will be created and written by Alex Tse and Wu-Tang Clan front man The RZA and executive produced by Brian Grazer and Francie Calfo, Wu-Tang Clan’s The RZA and Method Man, and Tse.
- The new drama series has received a 10-episode order.
- The series will explore and expand the world of the Wu-Tang clan.
- Wu-Tang Clan members Ghostface Killa, Inspectah Deck, Masta Killa and GZA as well as the Estate of ODB, will serve as consulting producers on the project.
- This will mark Hulu’s second project with Brian Grazer’s Imagine Television following the Emmy and Grammy Award winning documentary, The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years.
What they’re saying:
- Executive Producer Brian Grazer: “I’ve been a fan of Wu-Tang since the mid-90’s and recognized quickly how significant Wu-Tang and The RZA were to the world of hip-hop music and culture. Over the years I’ve gotten to know RZA and it’s clear that he is the soul and storyteller of Wu-Tang. Working with RZA and Alex Tse on this series has been a highlight of my career and Hulu is the perfect partner to bring this story to a global audience.”
- Craig Erwich, Hulu’s SVP of Originals: “The Wu Tang clan has made an immeasurable contribution to music and our popular culture. Their unique musical form and authentic storytelling continues to speak to our times. This series is a conversation worthy event that will bring their history and music to life in a way that hasn’t been seen before.”
- Executive Producer Francie Calfo: “It is fitting that WuTang: An American Saga is our first series to launch this new chapter as an independent production company/studio as it embodies all of the elements we look for in a story: ambition, vision, imagination, community and the power of music to transcend our lives.”
- Series creator and producer Alex Tse: “Ever since I heard “Da Mystery of Chessboxing” on the B-side maxi-cassette single of “C.R.E.A.M.” I’ve been a lifelong Wu fan. I’ll be celebrating this by buying a pair of Clarks Wallabys.”
- The RZA: “I’m delighted to be partnering with Hulu and Imagine to explore the vast story of the Wuniverse. Wu-Tang through our music has always strove to inspire as we entertain. This opportunity to continue the Wu – Saga in a 10-episode series will exponentially increase our inspirational style of entertainment. In the immortal words of ODB ‘Wu-Tang is for the Children.'”
- Method Man: “Imagine, Hulu and Wu-Tang – I’m thrilled with this collaboration. This is a major win for hip hop.”
- Ghostface Killa: “Ayo u know what it is, Wu-Tang is forever. We’re stepping into new chambers with Hulu and bringing our fans with us.”
- The GZA: “I look forward to collaborating with Hulu and Imagine for the production and filming of The Wu-Tang Series. This has been a long time request from fans and supporters for many years and it is long overdue. We now get to grant their wishes.”