A Defender has fallen — Netflix has decided not to produce another season of Marvel’s Iron Fist.
- As Deadline reports, Iron Fist, which ran for two seasons on Netflix, will not get a third on the platform.
- This marks the first time a Marvel series has been axed by the streaming service.
- In a statement regarding the cancelation, Marvel and Netflix said, “Marvel’s Iron Fist will not return for a third season on Netflix. Everyone at Marvel Television and Netflix is proud of the series and grateful for all of the hard work from our incredible cast, crew and showrunners.
- They went on to say, “We’re thankful to the fans who have watched these two seasons, and for the partnership we’ve shared on this series. While the series on Netflix has ended, the immortal Iron Fist will live on.”
- That “will live on” tag may prove prophetic as Disney will be launching its own streaming service next year and, as Deadline notes, could revive the series (or some form of it), although there don’t appear to be any firm plans at the moment.
- If that move were to happen, it’s unlikely that other defenders like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, or Luke Cage would be joining.
- Finally, if Iron Fist did end up making the leap to the Disney service, it would reportedly join other Marvel series in the works featuring such famed characters as Loki and Scarlet Witch.