Hulu’s Live TV subscription bundle is expanding to include two additional live news channels. The over the top streaming service has just added ABC News Live and CBSN to growing lineup.
- Variety reports that Hulu has added two new streaming news channels to their Live TV lineup.
- Along with internet news channel Cheddar, subscribers to Hulu with the Live TV package will now be able to view even more news 24-hours a day with the addition of ABC News Live and CBSN.
ABC News Live:
- The internet news channel launched on the Roku Channel May.
- Since then it has expanded to Facebook Watch and is also available on ABC’s owned-and-operated properties such as:
- ABC Mobile apps
- ABC News Live can also be streamed on Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV.
- Programing on this channel focuses on live, unedited news coverage versus headline news with contributions coming from 1,300 correspondents world wide.
- The channel currently does not have advertisement, just network promos. Their median viewing audience is under 40 years of age and they are on track to stream 1 million hours per week.
- This division of CBS launched in 2014 and has been bringing live news coverage to viewers from its world wide journalists.
- CBSN has aired 25 original documentaries and also recently launched CBSN AM, its first live daily programming in the 7-8 a.m. ET hour.
- CBSN is available:
- CBS News apps for mobile and connected-TV devices
- CBS All Access subscription service
What they’re saying:
- Colby Smith, ABC News’ senior VP of content and partnerships: “They’re a major player in the OTT space. We ultimately want [ABC News Live] to be ubiquitous – wherever cord-cutters and young audiences are.”
- Colby Smith: “We feel there’s a large, young audience disenfranchised with the cable-news format. We’re trying to do something no one else is doing – it’s more live, in-the-field and raw, showing how news is gathered.”
- Christy Tanner, EVP and GM, CBS News Digital, said in a prepared statement: “This is an important step in our ongoing strategy of expanding distribution of CBSN, now available on multiple [internet pay-TV services] as well as our CBS News digital platforms.”
Other news channels included in Hulu’s Live TV bundle:
- CNN International
- Fox News Channel
- Fox Business Network
- In September, Hulu announced a partnership with Discovery Inc. that will allow viewers to access thousands of episodes on a variety of topics covering real life entertainment.
- The streaming service announced that its Live-TV offering reached 1 million subscribers late this summer. Then it took a unique approach with its new commercial that debuted during the Emmys, encouraging viewers to never get Hulu.