The Walt Disney Family Museum has announced the return of their “Home for the Holidays at Carolwood” exhibition just in time for the holiday season.
- “Home for the Holidays at Carolwood” is an immersive seasonal installation that celebrates Walt’s family and his love of trains.
- The exhibition will be on view from November 15, 2018 to January 7, 2019, with a special members only preview day on Wednesday, November 14.
- The Museum’s official website offers the following description of the exhibition:
- An elaborate, three-dimensional model of the Disney family home, which once stood on Carolwood Drive in the Holmby Hills section of Los Angeles, will be the most prominent element of the exhibition, and will even feature a miniature version of Walt’s steam locomotive, the Lilly Belle, traveling around his Carolwood Pacific Fair Weather Route—a half-mile track that crisscrossed the home’s lawn and flowerbeds. Decorated with seasonal lights and greenery, this colorful and intricate scale model will be ceremoniously illuminated for the first time on Walt’s birthday, Wednesday, December 5, which coincides with the museum’s next free admission day.To further enhance visitors’ holiday experience, our major special exhibition, Walt Disney’s Nine Old Men: Masters of Animation, will be spreading some cheer as well: an array of never-before-seen holiday cards that were created by many of the titular Nine Old Men—a cast of influential animators who worked directly with Walt—will be displayed in Masters of Animation for the last few months of its run.These cards will complement the personal snapshots that depict Walt and his family, as well as the animation art and ephemera, that fill Home for the Holidays at Carolwood. And, for the first time, visitors can get an up-close-and-personal look at a vintage sled, which features an original, painted design of the “pie-eyed” version of Mickey Mouse.
- The Walt Disney Family Museum is located at 104 Montgomery St in San Francisco, California.