During a presentation at the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) expo today, Disney’s Chairman of Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products, Bob Chapek, offered a first look at the ride vehicles for the Guardians of the Galaxy roller coaster coming to Epcot.
- Chapek described the upcoming attraction as a “storytelling coaster.”
- To accomplish this, ride vehicles will be able to turn and point to different story elements.
- In addition to showing concept art of the vehicle design, Chapek also shared a still of a test vehicle in action:
- Incidentally, these photos and description vibe strongly with a recent patent that Disney filed for a rotating roller coaster vehicle.
- That patent application — titled “Roller Coaster with Passenger Compartment Motion Powered through Stored Onboard Energy” — not only detailed what the rotation capabilities would be used for but also explained the use of“storage devices” attached to the vehicles to provide the power necessary to allow for rotation.
- The new coaster is being manufactured by Vekoma.
- While no specific opening date for the Guardians of the Galaxy attraction has been announced, it is expected to debut ahead of Walt Disney World’s 50th anniversary in 2021.