Disney has announced that they have reached a licensing agreement with developer Jam City for mobile games:
About the Deal:
- Jam City will take over operation of the popular Disney Emoji Blitz Game
- Jam City will develop new mobile games based on Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios characters
- The first game being developed will be based on the sequel to Frozen
- 43 Disney employees will be offered positions at Jam City
- This will conclude Disney’s transition to a licensing model for mobile games and Disney will shut down their internal development efforts
What They Are Saying:
- Chris DeWolfe, co-founder and CEO of Jam City: “Jam City is proud to be teaming with Disney. Disney is the world’s leader in beloved characters and brands that have engaged generations of fans for decades. Jam City’s leadership in mobile entertainment based on iconic entertainment IP, makes our company an ideal partner to develop a lineup of new mobile games with Disney’s most popular franchises.”
- Kyle Laughlin, Senior Vice President of Games and Interactive Experiences at Disney: “While our licensing business for Disney Animation and Pixar games has grown over the last year and we have several top developers creating Disney games, this deal with Jam City represents a significant long-term opportunity for our games business and for the future slate of Disney and Pixar games. We can’t wait to see how Jam City and the incredibly talented team behind Disney Emoji Blitz will grow the already successful game and franchise, and how Jam City will bring their global reach and expertise in developing successful, enduring mobile games to the upcoming titles.”
About Jam City:
- Jam City was founded in 2009 by MySpace co-founder and CEO Chris DeWolfe and former 20th Century Fox executive Josh Yguado.
- Jam City is behind games such as Cookie Jam (Facebook “Game of the Year” winner) and Panda Pop.
- Has created games based on Harry Potter, Family Guy and Marvel Avengers.
- Has studios in Los Angeles (HQ), San Francisco, San Diego, Bogotá and Buenos Aires.