20th Century Fox is reportedly ramping up its global scripted formats drive with international remakes of popular shows like How I Met Your Mother, This Is Us and more, according to Deadline.
- How I Met Your Mother, a hit comedy series that starred Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Segel, is being remade in China.
- The popular drama This Is Us, which stars Mandy Moore and Sterling K. Brown, is headed to France and Holland.
- Tim Allen’s Last Man Standing, which was picked up by Fox after being cancelled by ABC, will be getting remakes in India and Vietnam.
- The 2012 police drama Awake, which starred Jason Isaacs, is headed to Russia.
- 20th Century Fox Television is among the assets that Disney will take control of once the deal is completely finalized.
What they’re saying:
- Gina Brogi, President of Global Distribution, Twentieth Century Fox Television Distribution: “There is a much greater interest from the international community to have locally-produced content and that’s winning the day when it comes to ratings. We’ve upped our game in the scripted formats arena; they’re really starting to get some traction.”
- Brogi on the impact of local productions in China: “China has become much more active lately with local productions; their production community has really upped their game in terms of producing their own content with their own stars and this really is a result of that.”
ICYMI – More 20th Century Fox news:
- Amazon has been reported as a potential buyer for the 22 regional sports networks Disney acquired from Fox.
- 20th Century Fox has launched a new podcast called “Screen Dive” that will peel back the curtain on your favorite movies.
- Movies Anywhere — formerly Disney Movies Anywhere — is offering users the chance to enjoy up to three free films just for linking new accounts now through December 27.