Former President of ABC Entertainment, Channing Dungey, has reportedly signed on to be the new VP of original content at Netflix, according to Variety.
- Dungey stepped down as President of ABC Entertainment last month.
- In her new position, Dungey will report to fellow VP of original content, Cindy Holland.
- Dungey’s new role will have her setting strategic direction and overseeing a large portion of Netflix”s slate, which will include handling some of the company’s deals with producers like Jenji Kohan, Steven DeKnight, Marti Noxon, Barack and Michelle Obama’s Higher Ground Productions, and more.
- Dungey is not the first to leave The Walt Disney Company for Netflix. Producers Shonda Rhimes and Kenya Barris previously left ABC for the streamer while writer/producer Ryan Murphy, who Disney hoped would play a role after the merger, left Fox for Netflix.
- Freeform head of original programming development Karey Burke has taken over Dungey’s role at ABC.
What they’re saying:
- Channing Dungey: “I’m drawn to the forward-thinking, risk-taking and creative culture at Netflix, and the deeply talented people there, especially Ted and Cindy, with whom I’m excited to partner on setting the strategy for original content. Given that ABC, the place I’ve called home for nearly 15 years, represents the gold standard of traditional broadcast, it feels like the perfect next step for me to join Netflix, the unparalleled leader in streaming. I’m invigorated by the challenges ahead and the opportunity to forge new relationships, and excited for the very welcome reunion with incredible talent.”
- Cindy Holland, VP of original content at Netflix: “We’re delighted to be adding Channing’s expertise, leadership and deep experience to Netflix, and I look forward to partnering with her as we continue to grow and evolve our global network. I have been a fan of her character and approach from our early days as executives.”
- Ted Sarandos, chief content officer of Netflix: “Channing is a creative force whose taste and talent have earned her the admiration of her peers across the industry. She’s a risk taker and ground-breaker and talent love working with her. I couldn’t be happier to welcome her to Netflix.”