Ready to step into the world of Disney’s Zootopia? Then you’ll want to pay a visit to Shanghai Disneyland in the coming years as the park has just announced a new expansion based on the hit film.
- The Disney Parks Blog announced that a Zootopia-themed land will be coming to the Shanghai Disneyland.
- This expansion marks the park’s second since opening in 2016 and follows the addition of Toy Story Land last year.
- According to the Parks Blog, the new area will feature “a new major attraction that will seamlessly blend Disney storytelling and state-of-the-art technology to bring this fan-favorite movie and its characters to life.”
- Of course, entertainment, merchandise, food, and beverages will factor into the land as well.
- Also of note, D23’s article on the news says “Zootopia will be unique to Shanghai Disneyland” — it’s unclear exactly what that means.
- Meanwhile, the Parks Blog reports that construction on the new land will begin later this year.
What they’re saying:
- Bob Chapek, Chairman of Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products, The Walt Disney Company: “We are thrilled to announce that Shanghai Disneyland will be home to the world’s first Zootopia-themed land. The rapid rate of expansion at Shanghai Disney Resort demonstrates our confidence and commitment to the Company’s future development in China.”
- Yang Jinsong, chairman of Disney’s Chinese joint venture partner for Shanghai Disney Resort—Shanghai Shendi Group: “Since the resort’s Grand Opening in 2016, Shanghai Disneyland has gone from strength to strength—continuing to expand and enjoying ever-rising attendance rates while also providing a safe and enjoyable experience for our guests. Shanghai Disneyland has rapidly become one of the fastest growing Disney parks and has been key to the development of the Shanghai International Resort as one of the most visited leisure destinations in the country. This new expansion will provide our guests with an even richer selection of offerings, and will further boost our market competitiveness.”