2019 marks the 30th anniversary of Disney’s animated classic The Little Mermaid and Playbill has shared a new video featuring actress Jodi Benson and composer Alan Menken discussing the creation of one of the film’s most memorable and beloved songs. The video is part of a series titles “Alan Menken and His Leading Ladies,” part of which can be seen below.
- In an interview with Playbill (which can be seen here), Benson discusses how she had to overcome perfectionism in her transition from stage to film while recording “Part of Your World.”
- The Walt Disney Signature Collection Edition of The Little Mermaid will be available on digital, 4k Ultra HD, and Movies Anywhere February 12 and on 4k Ultra HD and Blu-ray February 26.
- The new release will also include:
- New bonus features inside the original recording sessions
- A new installment of Stories From Walt’s Office, featuring “Gadgets & Gizmos” Disney kept in his office
- A “#TreasuresUntold” special, revealing secrets about the original movie
- DCappella’s fresh music video of “Part of Your World”
- Sing-along mode
- Classic bonus features like deleted scenes, audio commentary from directors Ron Clements, John Musker, and Menken.
- Three additional hours of bonus features and “Part of Your World” – A 30-Year Retrospective where Menken and Benson talk about finding Ariel’s voice, the peak of Disney “I Want” songs, and more will only be available on digital.
What they’re saying:
- Jodi Benson: “It was painful for me, being a perfectionist coming from the Broadway stage of wanting to sing every note of its full value and perfectly with vibrato and a straight tone and the right kind of emphasis.”